1) Chinese government funding of R&D is increasing (US for contrast, and previously)
2) "Consistent with the jury selection patterns, the empirical evidence implies that older jurors are indeed more likely to convict." (NBER Working Paper)
3) "[T]here is no other single sea otter that [has] had a greater impact upon the sea otter species." (via bb)
4) Since it came up in my undergrad class a few lectures ago, Colonial Powers in Africa Circa 1908
5) The rise and fall of a (large) MMORPG black market economy.
6) "I wanted to understand how massive processes of violence become normalized in modern society, and I wanted to do so from the perspective of those who work in the slaughterhouse." Highly recommended.